Friday 15 June 2012

Barry Smith's Kimberley Trilogy UK Book Lauch

Last month The Portico hosted author Barry Smith's book launch.  He writes about it below:

It was with great delight that I launched the first two novels - For Freedom’s Cause and Battle for the North - in my Kimberley Trilogy of Australian historical adventure stories, at the Portico Library in my hometown of Manchester in the UK.

Whilst a committed resident of Richmond in marvellous Melbourne, and Australian by choice, I was pleased to be able to introduce my family and friends to Dan Bevan, the Manchester coal miner-cum-First War Officer who is the hero of my novels, especially as there were several real-life Bevans in the audience. I was amused to reveal that the mine in the novel (Bradford Pit) near where I was born and raised is now the site of Manchester City’s football ground!

The setting was wonderfully appropriate and inspiring as the Library opened in 1806 encompassing a reading room and newsroom for gentlemen of a Liberal political persuasion. There is much evidence that long standing Chairman Reverend Gaskell, husband of Elizabeth Gaskell, renowned author of North and South and Cranford, borrowed books for his wife and Sir Robert Peel, reforming Prime Minister and founder of the Police Force (hence ‘Peelers’) was a member.

John Birkett, a friend from Cambridge University days, introduced me in his usually warm and witty style and invited the audience to question me about my books and motivation for writing. The questions were shrewd and some of my responses were a revelation even to me.

Then a mischievous Australian visitor asked the thorny one-“After 40 years in Australia do you feel more Australian or more English?” My answer ignited the fire of Anglo-Australian sporting rivalries and affiliations amongst the gathering to everyone’s amusement.

I am returning to Melbourne in early July and plan to launch the second of my historical adventure novels-Battle for the North-which has not yet been released in Australia- in Melbourne later in July and after in Perth, Broome and Darwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment